After six hours of competition between the top two women’s tennis squads in the Big Sky Conference, it was the Montana Grizzlies who remained the sole unbeaten team in league play and snapped a historic streak in the process.
Montana edged out Sacramento State 4-3 Friday at The Peak in Missoula, ending the Hornets’ 112 conference match win streak. The Grizzlies are the first Big Sky team to defeat Sacramento State since 2002.
Down 3-1 at one point in the day, Montana won the final three singles matches of the meet to defeat their opponent. Everything came down to the No. 5 singles contest between UM’s Ashley Mackey and Sacramento State’s Deimante Bulatovaite. After splitting the first two sets it was only fitting that the final clash of the day would come down to a third set tiebreaker. After falling behind 6-5, Mackey recorded three of the next four points to get the victory and seal the team win.
Mackey collapsed to the court as her teammates surrounded her to celebrate possibly the biggest home victory in the history of the Montana tennis program.
Montana (12-7, 7-0 BSC) moves into first place in the Big Sky, and hosts third place Northern Colorado (8-7, 6-2 BSC) Saturday at 9 a.m.
Montana 4, Sacramento State 3
April 11, 2014 at Missoula, Mont. (Peak Racquet Club)
1. Haley Driver (UM) def. Alina Soltanici (SAC) 6-0, 3-1 (retired)
2. Daria Savchenko (SAC) def. Precious Gbadamosi (UM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Sophie Lohscheidt (SAC) def. Sasha Carter (UM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Laurence Pelchat (UM) def. Olivia Boija (SAC) 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
5. Ashley Mackey (UM) def. Deimante Bulatovaite (SAC) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (8-6)
6. Maddy Murray (UM) def. Andie Mouzes (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
1. Sophie Lohscheidt/Olivia Boija (SAC) def. Haley Driver/Precious Gbadamosi (UM) 8-5
2. Daria Savchenko/Alina Soltanici (SAC) def. Sasha Carter/Laurence Pelchat (UM) 8-5
3. Deimante Bulatovaite/Andie Mouzes (SAC) def. Ashley Mackey/Anabel Carbo-Estruch (UM) 8-3
Montana: 12-7, 7-0 BSC
Sacramento State: 9-13, 7-1 BSC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)
Match duration: 6 hours, 5 minutes