Two Hawk wrestlers are on their way to the collegiate mats after signing their letters of intent on Monday.
Vvito Degidio will wrestle for the University of Minnesota Mankato and Silas Hopkins will wrestle for the University of Great Falls.
"This is a really big moment in my life,"said Degidio. "Just to go to that next level after high school is something I've dreamed about since I was a little kid. It's something I've always wanted to do, become a college wrestler, and I just worked hard in the classroom and it finally all paid off."
"I feel good and I'm excited," said Hopkins, originally from Ethiopia. "I never think I would wrestle in college or I never think I be wrestling after high school, but my coaches always told me I would."
"It's a real testament to the people they are," said Bozeman wrestling coach Nate Laslovich. "They've both had a ton of adversity all their lives. They both graduated with a GPA over 3.6. Both were very successful at wrestling and you can't find better people than either of these two."
Both say family played a deciding role in their college decisions.
"I have some family there and some family in Minnesota all around the state," said Degidio. "Which is pretty sweet and I'll get to meet some of my Italian family."
"It's close to home," said Hopkins. "My family can come watch me and the friends who have been watching me in high school, if they're interested, they can come over and watch!"
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KCFW Kalispell business owners push back on improvement district
- KECI Big Ditch Irrigation siphon nearly complete
- KECI Montana bill could prohibit cyclist access on 2-lane roads
- KECI Bitterroot College begins spring semester