MISSOULA, Mont. -

A family's newly bought motor home went up in flames Saturday south of Polson.

Fire crews responded to the blaze around 7 p.m. on Highway 93, near Arlee.

Arlee Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Drew Hendrickson tells us the family had just bought the RV and were on their way home from Polson when a fire broke out in the engine.

We're told they pulled over and tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but flames soon engulfed the motor home, sending up a plume of black smoke 200 feet in the air.

Hendrickson tells us they had to shut down a lane of traffic for 30 minutes before they could knock down the flames.