BOZEMAN, Mont. - Gallatin County Search and Rescue responded to an avalanche on Bridger Peak Tuesday afternoon.
A 26 year old skier was caught in the slide, seriously injuring his leg.
No one else was swept up in the avalanche. The victim was skiing in a group that included two off-duty Bridger Bowl Ski Patrol members. They dug him out and called for help at around 2:45 p.m.
Search and Rescue and Summit Air Ambulance used a helicopter to get the injured skier to the hospital within an hour of the initial call.
Officials tell us the rescue operation was efficient and successful, thanks to good weather, the group's experience and preparation and a quick emergency response.
They remind skiers to use extreme caution in the backcountry and always check avalanche conditions.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Motorcycle Fatal-Missing Man
- KTVM Fire officials stress need for defensible space
- KECI Logger loses equipment in fire as employee helps save residents
- KECI Hamilton takes first steps to buy armory