BUTTE, Mont. - Police traced fake hundred dollar bills circulating in Butte to a Butte man with a sweetheart in Nigeria.
The 33-year-old man reportedly told investigators his girlfriend, whom he met on the internet, mailed him $3,000 in fake bills.
He said she asked him to wire her the money back using moneygram to help pay for medical bills.
Investigators said the fake bills turned up at Walmart, Albertsons and Safeway.
Police have recovered $900 of the $3,000 he reportedly spent.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KTVM Water main leak in Bozeman prompts road closure
- East Helena couple found dead in home
- KTVM Gallatin Co. to approve $100k for 911 center consultant
- KTVM Severe cold weather impacts vehicles