BUTTE, Mont. - Police traced fake hundred dollar bills circulating in Butte to a Butte man with a sweetheart in Nigeria.
The 33-year-old man reportedly told investigators his girlfriend, whom he met on the internet, mailed him $3,000 in fake bills.
He said she asked him to wire her the money back using moneygram to help pay for medical bills.
Investigators said the fake bills turned up at Walmart, Albertsons and Safeway.
Police have recovered $900 of the $3,000 he reportedly spent.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Nationally high cherry prices help Flathead Lake growers
- KTVM First East Side Mish Mash held in Bozeman
- KTVM Police warn against leaving children in hot cars
- KECI Most dogs returned to kennel after Charlo raid