BOZEMAN, Mont. - The following is a press release from the Gallatin County Sheriff's Office:
Gallatin County Sheriff Brian Gootkin reports that the Park County Coroner Al Jenkins has identified 57-year-old Steven Lee Groat as the individual who was involved in the shooting on Sunday morning, 2/2/14, on Tulip Avenue near Belgrade.
Groat was the owner of the residence from where shots were fired, with bullets entering a neighbor's residence. The neighbor was slightly injured but did not require medical attention for his injuries.
The Gallatin County and Bozeman Police Department Special Response Team was called to the scene and determined that Groat was deceased. An autopsy was conducted today by a state medical examiner.
Jenkins says that the evidence at the scene and from the autopsy shows that Groat died of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head. It appears the death occurred shortly after the shots were fired at his neighbor's residence.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KTVM Water main leak in Bozeman prompts road closure
- East Helena couple found dead in home
- KTVM Gallatin Co. to approve $100k for 911 center consultant
- KTVM Severe cold weather impacts vehicles