BUTTE, Mont. - No charges have been filed after a Butte man was accidentally shot through the hand and stomach while trying to break up a fight.
Deputies said the shooting occurred n the 2300 of Elm Street around 1 a.m. early Sunday morning.
They say a 23-year-old man was shot with a semi-automatic handgun brandished during a fight between two of his friends.
Butte Undersheriff George Skuletich told us they interviewed the victim yesterday in the hospital once he got out of surgery.
"We're still doing investigating on it, and talking to all the witnesses and making sure we get the statement from the victim," said Skuletich. "We were able to talk to most of the parties involved yesterday, and then we just got to put all of that together and see if there will be charges filed. Right now we're looking at it as unintentional."
Skuletich said alcohol was a factor in the incident.
This article has been edited to remove an image showing a house that was not connected to the shooting.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Gas prices take slight dip around Missoula
- KECI Missoula to show public how election process works
- KTVM Success of hunting season weather dependent: FWP
- KECI Opening weekend of rifle hunting season comes to a close