BOZEMAN, Mont. - A Gallatin County judge set bail at $100,000 for a California man accused of shooting a Butte man last week.
Butte police issued an alert for Luke Lapinski early last Friday after reports of shots fired on the 1800-block of Porter Avenue, just south of Butte Memorial Stadium.
Less than 24 hours later, the manhunt was over just 80 miles to the east. Bozeman area law enforcement officers had Lapinski in custody, without incident, arresting him off Hidden Valley Road, just outside Bozeman.
According to Undersheriff George Skuletich, Lapinski could be returned to Butte as early as Tuesday August 5.
Lapinski is charged with one count of aggravated assault for allegedly shooting and injuring a Butte man just after midnight last Friday.
No new details were released Monday in court, but according to Butte-Silver Bow investigators, authorities used cellphone data to track Lapinski to the Bozeman area.
"We are able to locate the vehicle in Bozeman through cell phone locations and stuff like that, and we were able to pinpoint his location and the tactical was able to arrest him without incident," said Skuletich.
Skuletich said that their next step is to search Lapinski's car. Authorities also searched the house where the alleged shooting happened, but couldn't comment on what they found.
Lapinski will be arraigned in District Court once he's back in Butte, but it's unclear if he'll face anymore more charges.