KTVM

Extensive damage to Bozeman home after house fire

Bozeman home suffers extensive damage...

BOZEMAN, Mont. - Two people are safe after a house fire in Bozeman Tuesday morning. 

According to Hyalite Fire Department chief Jason Revisky, the house fire started in the garage and caused extensive damage to the garage and the area above. The rest of the home suffered from smoke damage.

“From a health standpoint, the residents are doing just fine,” Revisky said. "Of course having a loss like this to property is never a good day for anyone."

Revisky told NBC Montana firefighters received the call at 9:20 a.m. and arrived on scene at 9:25 a.m. 

With mutual aid by Bozeman Fire Department, Central Valley Fire, Amsterdam Rural Fire Department, Fort Ellis Fire Rescue, Gallatin Gateway Fire, AMR and the Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office the fire at 1500 Rainbow Road was contained in 35 minutes. Revisky said 7 engines, 3 water tenders, 2 ambulances and 1 rescue vehicle were also on scene.

Bill Lewis told NBC Montana he and his wife Betty have lived in that home for 40 years. 

“I put my hand up against the garage door, the only egress from inside the basement, and it was warm,” Lewis said. “So I cracked it open and there was a lot of smoke, a lot of hot flames.”

There is no cause determined at this time, and the investigation is ongoing. 

"I don't like it. Neither am I broken-hearted. We're okay," Lewis said. "The ground's still here, so we can rebuild."
 


More Stories