BOZEMAN, Mont. - The 2014 Tour de France came to a close today and with it the final ranking of a Bozeman raised cyclist who kept American hopes alive for a podium finish.
He was so close.
Montana's Tejay van Garderen finished 5th overall in the 21 stage race this year. Just 11 minutes and 24 seconds behind the leader.
That position ranks van Garderen as the top overall American at this years Tour de France.
We visited a Bozeman bike shop where the owner flew an American flag in a victory lap celebrating van Garderen's accomplishment.
Gear Wizard owner Brain Wood told us, "Most cyclists would be very, very pleased to have that happen and just to ride in the Tour de France would be a major accomplishment. His performance this year is fantastic and we're very proud of him."
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Montana wildfire forces evacuations
- Montana ranch dispute with federal government settled
- KECI Local businesses falling victim to dipping commercial building real estate market
- KCFW Burnett stumlbes, maintains lead at Rebecca Farm