BUTTE, Mont. - Jefferson County Undersheriff Mike Johnson says a body discovered on Homestake Pass is James Ryan.
Ryan, 54, disappeared in February, the same day he was scheduled to meet with his bosses in Helena about $175,000 dollars missing from the Sheet Metal Workers Union. The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Department later confirmed that Ryan was under investigation on suspicion of embezzlement.
Police traced his car his car to the Homestake Pass area, but found no signs of Ryan.
On Sunday, June 7, a hiker discovered the body in a remote area just south of Interstate 90 off the Homestake Pass exit east of Butte.
Jefferson County Undersheriff Mike Johnson had the body taken to State Crime Lab in Missoula for identification.
Johnson said Ryan was identified using dental records. A cause and manner of death have not been released.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Tax extensions are a safe bet, experts say
- Missoula Co. addresses road condition issues
- News Environmental groups challenge Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Final suspect reaches plea deal in death of Kalispell man