BELGRADE, Mont. - Folks in the Gallatin Valley are mourning the loss of a Belgrade rancher and decorated war hero.
John Stan Milesnick was 92 when he passed away last week.
We spoke to the pastor of Valley of Flowers Catholic Church. He says Milesnick was a parishioner there and helped found the church.
He tells us above all, Milesnick was a humble man. A decorated war veteran, he says Milesnick rarely talked about his service or the Distinguished Service Cross he was awarded two years ago for his heroism in the Battle of the Bulge.
The pastor says the best way to sum up Milesnick is service.
"Served his nation in its hour of need, served its wife of more than 60 years, Joyce. He served his family, five children that he raised, and his church, his broader community, serving on many boards and committees and just a man who was well-loved and well-respected," explains Father Eric Gilbaugh.
Gilbaugh tells us Milesnick's funeral will be Friday at Holy Rosary Catholic Church at 10am.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Officials identify man who possibly drowned in Flathead Lake
- Officials identify man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Candidates for Montana house seat spar over public lands
- KECI Man arrested in connection with Missoula bike thefts