MISSOULA COUNTY - A veteran textile artist is teaching anyone whose interested to weave a community banner that will say peace in as many languages as possible.
It will decorate the Jeannette Rankin Peace Center in Missoula.
Bonnie Tarses will be at the center all week.
She developed a system using color and the alphabet to weave messages in cloth.
For PEACE, it works this way.
P is the 16th letter of the alphabet.
So Tarses weaves 16 threads of one color.
Since the next letter in PEACE is E, and the 5th letter of the alphabet, she weaves five threads of another color, and so on.
Originally, the plan was to weave PEACE in English, Tibetan and Salish.
But PEACE is growing...in Swedish, Gaelic, Thai, Mandarin and Greek.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Local businesses falling victim to dipping commercial building real estate market
- KCFW Burnett stumlbes, maintains lead at Rebecca Farm
- KECI Missing endangered person alert in Missoula called off
- Blue Lake Fire prompts voluntary evacuations