HELENA, Mont. - The Montana Supreme Court is rejecting a request from Barry Beach to reconsider its decision to send him back in prison for the 1979 murder of a classmate after he spent 1 ½ years as a free man awaiting a new trial.
The court issued a ruling Thursday that sticks with its decision issued just last month to reject a lower court decision granting Beach a new trial. The high court split 4-3 in both decisions.
Beach advocates have long argued he has been wrongly imprisoned for a murder they say was the result of an out-of-control fight among jealous girls.
The 51-year-old Beach was living a quiet life in Billings when he was ordered back to prison. His supporters have vowed to continue the legal fight.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KTVM Water main leak in Bozeman prompts road closure
- East Helena couple found dead in home
- KTVM Gallatin Co. to approve $100k for 911 center consultant
- KTVM Severe cold weather impacts vehicles