BERLIN - More than 500 people were attending a memorial service for a 17-year-old German exchange student who was shot dead a week ago in the United States.
Friends, family, the mayor and American diplomats on Sunday assembled at a mosque in Hamburg to wish farewell to Diren Dede, who was fatally shot in Missoula, Montana.
The coffin was put up on a table in the park of the mosque and draped with German and Turkish flags. Dede is the son of Turkish immigrants and will be buried on Monday in Bodrum, Turkey.
Missoula homeowner Markus Kaarma fired four blasts from a shotgun into his garage, killing Dede, who was inside. Kaarma faces a charge of deliberate homicide.
It's not clear what the teen was doing in the garage.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Tax extensions are a safe bet, experts say
- Missoula Co. addresses road condition issues
- News Environmental groups challenge Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Final suspect reaches plea deal in death of Kalispell man