MISSOULA, Mont. - Senator John Walsh is an Iraq war vet, leading 700 Montanans there in 2004 and 2005.
He's the only military veteran of the war serving in the senate.
NBC Montana asked Walsh what he thinks about the current turmoil and any potential U.S. involvement.
"It's time for the Iraqi government and the Iraqi people to stand up and take responsibility for their country and I don't want to send any additional troops to Iraq or take a chance on having any of them killed or seriously injured," said Walsh.
Walsh is headed up to the Flathead on Sunday.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KTVM Water main leak in Bozeman prompts road closure
- East Helena couple found dead in home
- KTVM Gallatin Co. to approve $100k for 911 center consultant
- KTVM Severe cold weather impacts vehicles