BUTTE, Mont. - A 38-year-old Butte man is in custody and an officer wounded after a standoff this evening.
According to Butte-Silver Bow Sheriff Ed Lester authorities responded to the scene after a call to 9-1-1 reported a potentially suicidal man in the 1600-block of Dewey Boulevard. First responders made contact with the man on a cell phone and learned that his three children were in the house, he was heavily armed and loading a firearm.
Lester says officers were familiar with the man. Negotiators were able to get the subject to release the children. The sheriff advised that at no time be the incident considered a hostage situation.
During negotiations, the subject fired a round, striking an officer in the arm. The officer was treated for the wound at a Butte hospital.
After extended negotiations, the subject agreed to surrender. He was taken into custody and treated for what appears to be a self-inflicted knife wound.
The name of the subject and the name of the wounded officer were not released.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- South Entrance to Yellowstone National Park remains closed
- KCFW Kalispell police clearing out transient camps
- KCFW Infrared camera used in Bierney Creek Fire west of Lakeside
- Parents win $4.6 million lawsuit against bar