MISSOULA, Mont. - The Missoula Hellgate Knights claimed their third-straight state lacrosse title, beating the Helena High Bengals 16-9 Sunday afternoon in Whitefish.
The Knights entered the tournament as the #1 seed after finishing the regular season undefeated in conference play. Hellgate proved to be the team to beat in the tournament after posting back-to-back impressive wins on Saturday. In their first game the Knights faced crosstown Missoula Sentinel and cruised to victory 19-0. Then, in the semi-finals, Hellgate stayed on fire beating Flathead 18-1 to advance to the state title game for another consecutive year.
In Sunday's championship game Hellgate faced #2 seed Helena. The Knights went in to the half with a 8-4 lead and never looked back picking up the victory 16-9.
"We feel like we've been trying to build a championship environment all season long and that pays off when you come to a game like this because the energy gets high, the emotions get high, and the kids understand that they can play at that level because they've been there before," said Hellgate head lacrosse coach Kevin Flynn.
"This being our third year, it was even more special," said Hellgate junior Hudson Therriault. "It was even more special being a captain and kind of being able to say that I was a head of this team it's an absolutely incredible feeling."
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Authorities ID man found in Clark Fork River
- Bozeman American Legion seeks return of burgled bugle
- Lewis and Clark County appoints new coroner
- KECI Injury crash near Ronan diverts traffic off Highway 93