MISSOULA, Mont. - Investigators are waiting for coroners' and medical examiners reports for clues as to whose body was found in the Clark Fork River Tuesday.
A fisherman found the body of a badly decomposed man on an outcropping of rocks. It was found in an area of rapids about 3/4 of a mile below the Reserve Street Bridge.
The Missoula County Sheriff's Department told us it appears the body had been there for quite awhile.
Search and rescue crews recovered the body. It was transported to the State Crime Lab.
"Law enforcement is pretty privy to local persons that are missing," said Sheriff's Department Public Information Officer Paige Pavalone. "There's nothing on our radar that matches that description in western Montana or Missoula County. So this person could be from another area. We just don't have enough details to determine that at this time."
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Billings residents protest suspension of radio host
- Brockton woman found dead after pickup crashed into river
- Republican and Democratic hopefuls for US House election
- KECI Montana teen found safe by Helena police