MISSOULA, Mont. - The Missoula County Attorney confirmed charges have been filed against the 22-year-old man who took a bullet to the stomach during a home invasion early Sunday morning.
County Attorney Fred VanValkenburg said Dillon Torey Franklin has been charged with felony burglary, criminal mischief, criminal trespass to vehicles and disorderly conduct.
Police say around 2:00 a.m. Sunday, a homeowner woke up to glass breaking and somebody entering his house. The homeowner told police he warned the intruder he had a gun, and told him to leave but when he didn't, the 77-year-old man shot the intruder in the stomach.
Franklin is still in the hospital at this time and will not appear in court until he has been released.
VanValkenburg said the homeowner who shot Franklin will not be charged. Under Montana law, people have the right to protect their homes using any means necessary.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Tax extensions are a safe bet, experts say
- Missoula Co. addresses road condition issues
- News Environmental groups challenge Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Final suspect reaches plea deal in death of Kalispell man