HELENA, Mont. - A fiery crash near Helena involving a Three Forks fire truck and a pickup truck took the lives of six people.
Montana Highway Patrol Captain Gary Becker said a Helena family of five, two adults and three children, died in the crash.
According to a press release from the Gallatin Media Center, Three Forks Fire Chief Todd Rummel, while operating Three Forks Engine 14-12, was also killed in the fatal motor vehicle accident on Highway 12 east of Helena.
Becker says the pickup truck carrying a family of five was traveling west when it collided with the fire engine. Their names and ages have not been released.
The crash happened about 9 p.m. Thursday about 10 miles east of Helena, forcing both vehicles into the ditch. Both vehicles flipped and exploded into flames.
The fire engine was not responding to an emergency at the time of the crash, and the cause of the crash is under investigation.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Pipeline protest aided by universal support
- KECI Workday for CSKT delayed until 9 a.m.
- KECI Emergency travel restrictions lifted in Missoula Co.
- KECI Winter weather prompts warnings for drivers