HAMILTON, Mont. - A 17-year-old Hamilton boy suffered serious burns in an explosion at a house in Hamilton early Tuesday morning. The teen has not been identified at this time.
Police suspect the explosion occurred in a drug manufacturing operation.
Hamilton Police Chief Ryan Oster said another man was also burned.
Prosecutors arraigned 25-year-old Howard Matthew Wease III at the hospital late Wednesday afternoon. Wease faces three felony charges.
Oster said it happened on the 400-block of Madison Street on Hamilton's south side.
He said it's believed the suspects were using butane to make hash oil. Hash oil is a derivative of marijuana.
Oster said two adults brought the injured boy to the emergency room at Marcus Daly Hospital, summoned paramedics, and left.
"There's apparently a trend in the country involving this process," said Oster, "using butane, and folks being injured in explosions and fires as a result of the process."
Police obtained a search warrant for the house. Investigators said they found evidence indicating that hash oil was being made there.