MISSOULA, Mont. - We're tracking a growing fire south of Hamilton, just five miles past the Lost Horse Lodge.
Officials tell us they're trying to bring in crews to rappel from choppers to a rocky cliff in the Lost Horse Canyon near Brandy Peak. Helicopters are also dropping water on the blaze.
The lightning-caused fire is burning in steep and rugged terrain and is inaccessible on foot.
Right now, the fire has claimed about six acres with no containment. No structures are threatened at this time, but there are homes in the area.
"It's a concern when you see smoke and all that sort of thing, so we're concerned," said Sarah Howell, a resident who lives about 5 miles away.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Gas prices take slight dip around Missoula
- KECI Missoula to show public how election process works
- KTVM Success of hunting season weather dependent: FWP
- KECI Opening weekend of rifle hunting season comes to a close