MISSOULA, Mont. - A Missoula City Council committee will start to discuss the conditions for soup kitchens, shelters and similar social sites after approving an interim ordinance Monday.
The Union Gospel Mission wants to put a soup kitchen in a former bakery building on Broadway. The Mission's Executive Director Candace Day didn't want to release a statement Tuesday, but did confirm the group is still paying a lease on Broadway building and already submitted a request for a building permit.
But that permit is on hold while the City Council works out some conditions. Councilman Jon Wilkins said the Land Use and Planning Committee will start discussing those conditions at a meeting scheduled for Wednesday. The council will have six months before the interim conditional zoning ordinance expires.
Day said the Union Gospel board will meet Thursday to discuss its next steps.
Click here to view the Land Use and Planning Committee agenda.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Gas prices take slight dip around Missoula
- KECI Missoula to show public how ballot process works
- KTVM Success of hunting season weather dependent: FWP
- KECI Opening weekend of rifle hunting season comes to a close