MISSOULA, Mont. - Folks out enjoying the recent sunshine in Western Montana will want to remember that the heat can create the possibility of avalanches, and experts want people to stay aware.
In the Flathead area, the avalanche danger is considerable, but could get higher in sunny areas. Human triggered avalanches are likely.
The current Flathead avalanche advisory can be viewed by clicking here.
In the Gallatin area, avalanche danger conditions are mixed. Experts found some weak layers in the snow pack but strong areas in other areas. The avalanche danger is moderate.
The current Gallatin avalanche danger advisory can be viewed by clicking here.
In the Missoula area, the avalanche danger remained considerable in the back country on slopes 30 degrees and steeper. The snow in some areas is gaining strength, but avalanche experts say the large amount of sun today can do a lot to weaken snow and create dangerous avalanche conditions.
Missoula's latest avalanche advisory can be found by clicking here.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Tax extensions are a safe bet, experts say
- Missoula Co. addresses road condition issues
- News Environmental groups challenge Keystone XL pipeline approval
- Final suspect reaches plea deal in death of Kalispell man