The accounting firm looking into the dealings of Ravalli County's treasurer's office is asking a district court to dismiss a libel suit by suspended Treasurer Valarie Stamey.
In February, Stamey filed suit, accusing Anderson Zurmuehlen and accountant James Woy of making libelous statements in an interim report to the Ravalli County attorney.
The report claimed the "duties of the Ravalli County Treasurer were not properly executed" and "the office was in disarray."
Stamey claimed that statement exposed her to contempt and ridicule.
The defendants argue that the statements were not defamatory, Stamey admitted the truth of the statement, the statement was not directed specifically at Stamey and the interim report was privileged.
Click here to read the Motion for Summary Judgment and supporting documents.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- News Trial to consider coal pollution from BNSF coal trains
- Local Elections Commissioner: Pro-marijuana group filed reports late
- Magistrate hears arguments in beef checkoff lawsuit
- Local Elections Supreme Court candidate condemns political spending in race