MISSOULA, Mont. - If there was any doubt about room in Missoula for another hunting and sporting goods store, the crowd at Cabela's on Thursday morning may have squashed that.
More than 2,000 people lined up for the business's grand opening.
The 42,000-square-foot store is the centerpiece of a new $20 million shopping center under construction where a K-Mart once stood.
Boot Barn has already opened up next door to Cabela's and a Kohl's department store is on its way.
City officials say they are close to granting final approval for the permits needed for Kohl's, and we're told construction could start as soon as August.
Construction has already begun for the new Men's Wearhouse, and crews have laid the foundation.
Missoula economic partnership director Jame's Grunke says the demand is there.
"I don't think it is a surprise. I know there's been a lot of pent-up demand for retail options in this community," said Grunke. "It's been a number of years since we've seen something like this. I mean, you couldn't ask for a better fit in our community than Cabela's, and I think the excitement we are going to see down there is just going to intensify."
Starting Friday, Cabela's will be open from 9 a.m to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday, and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI UM kicks off homecoming events
- Hundreds of raptors migrating through Big Belt Mountains
- KECI Montana untested rape kit info to go to CODIS
- FBI mum on case of Montana woman found dead in car trunk