WHITEFISH, Mont. - Great Northern Brewing Company took home a silver medal for their Wheatfish wheat beer at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this weekend. But there's more on tap for the Whitefish brewery. Competition is stiff -- judges try more than 4,800 beers in 84 different categories.
"We entered in the past and always received positive feedback from the judges. You never really know how it's going to go," said owner Marcus Duffey. "But to come away with a medal this year was huge."
The award is coming at an exciting time for Great Northern Brewing. Duffey said the brewery recently added the Billings market to it's distribution list. It's an effort to expand regionally.
"We move east before we move west and that's a big market for us. Largest population in the state. Big beer drinkers down there," Duffey explained.
Also brewing -- GNBC is adding 50 percent more fermentation capacity in 2014. That means more beer.
"New malt delivery system so our efficiencies are going to be greater and hopefully meet that demand we're expecting in 2014," said Duffey.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Local businesses falling victim to dipping commercial building real estate market
- KCFW Burnett stumlbes, maintains lead at Rebecca Farm
- KECI Missing endangered person alert in Missoula called off
- Blue Lake Fire prompts voluntary evacuations