KALISPELL, Mont. - The most popular park in Flathead County is continuing to grow.
Herron Park is located just south of Foys Lake in Kalispell, and has long been a popular spot for outdoor recreation.
The park was originally just 120 acres before Foys to Blacktail Trails started an effort to buy and protect surrounding private lands in partnership with the county
Since the start of the project, the group has raised over $2 million in grants and private donations to purchase an additional 260 acres.
With the help of a recent $40,000 grant from the Montana Fish and Wildlife Conservation Trust and an additional $20,000 from Flathead County Parks, the final 60-acre parcel is almost within reach.
"The final phase of the land purchase effort that we've been in really secures the cherry on top, if you will, of Herron Park. (It's) what we've been calling the Foys Overlook. So that's for sure the premier recreational destination," says Clifford Kipp, chairman of the Foys to Blacktail Trails Board.
As Foys to Blacktail Trails continues to improve Herron Park, they are looking for volunteers for National Trails Day on June 7. For more information visit FoysToBlacktailTrails.org.
Foys to Blacktail Trails aims to raise a final $120,000 needed to purchase the final 60 acres of land to complete the project.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KCFW Kalispell business owners push back on improvement district
- KECI Big Ditch Irrigation siphon nearly complete
- KECI Montana bill could prohibit cyclist access on 2-lane roads
- KECI Bitterroot College begins spring semester