KALISPELL, Mont. - It was a Valentine's Day gone wrong.
Authorities say a 71 year old Hungry Horse man died after getting into an argument with his 55 year old girlfriend.
"Our deputies responded and did find an individual who did suffer a single gunshot wound to the center of his chest. Attempts to revive him from EMS were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead on the scene," said Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry.
Around 8:00 pm Friday night, at the victim's home in Hungry Horse, we're told shouting was heard inside the house. Neighbors alerted authorities to the incident, and when deputies arrived on scene, they found the man lying on the ground with a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Curry says the alleged shooter was living with the man before the shooting.
"Our deputies did locate his 55 year old live in girlfriend. She was taken into custody last night. Allegedly she fired the fatal round in to the victim," Curry said.
Curry tells us they've had no prior history of domestic violence or disputes at that residence.
"We have not had any contact with these individuals. It's my understanding that they recently moved to the Flathead from another state," said Curry.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- KECI Gas prices take slight dip around Missoula
- KECI Missoula to show public how ballot process works
- KTVM Success of hunting season weather dependent: FWP
- KECI Opening weekend of rifle hunting season comes to a close