CORVALLIS, Mont. - A brush fire is burning south of Hamilton on private property owned by Bitterroot River Lodge on Charlos Heights Flats. It's just east of the railroad tracks in that area and started at about 5:45 p.m.
This reportedly is a controlled burn that got out of control. No structures are threatened. The fire is burning near the Bitterroot River in grass and brush with a lot of willow trees.
Hamilton, Corvallis, Pinesdale, Darby and Stevensville volunteer firefighters have arrived on the scene to be extra cautious.
The fire appears to be contained but fire crews warn that winds are sporadic.
People across the Bitterroot Valley can see smoke from the fire.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Local Elections Secretary of state: Voters should handle ballots themselves
- Local Elections Chief justice, other judges denounce campaign attack ad
- Crow, Montana settle dispute over taxing coal owned by tribe
- Montana's mining future could lie in ordinary rock