BUTTE, Mont. - An unmarried teacher at a Roman Catholic middle school in Montana has been fired after getting pregnant.
Patrick Haggarty, the superintendent of Catholic schools for the Diocese of Helena, says Butte Central teacher Shaela Evenson "made a willful decision to violate the terms of her contract." He says the agreement requires that Evenson respect the moral and religious teachings of the Catholic Church in both her professional and personal life.
Butte Central elementary and middle school principal Kerrie Hellyer says that Haggarty dismissed Evenson on Jan. 10.
Evenson taught sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade literature and physical education for just over eight years. A phone message left for her Tuesday wasn't immediately returned.
The firing comes after a Catholic school in a Seattle suburb drew attention in December for forcing out a gay vice principal.
- Copyright ©2016 by KECI, KCFW, KTVM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Stray bullets blamed for wildfire in west-central Idaho
- Montana school forced to cut nurse's hours due to budget
- Community meeting set for Copper King Fire update
- Rangeland wildfire forces evacuations in eastern Idaho