Thirty-two children are safe in a warm shelter this winter, but anybody else who knocks at Watson Children’s Shelter’s door will have to be turned away.
The nonprofit organization hit its resident capacity over the weekend, and as the end of the year approaches, administrators are stretching their pennies to meet the needs of the children in their care.
The shelter last hit capacity in 2006. That incident spurred the development of another shelter that was completed in 2010, upping their capacity to its current level of 32.
“This is a critical time for us,” Executive Director Fran Albrecht says, “It’s a time when our expenses increase and we really rely on community support in order to welcome all the children who need us.”
Watson Children’s Shelter receives 60 percent of its funding through a fee-for-service contract through child and family services. That leaves 40 percent up to grants, special events and private donations.
To donate or find out how you can help this holiday season, visit their website at watsonchildrensshelter.org.