MISSOULA, Mont. -

Firefighters tell us a historic Alberton hotel is a total loss after flames scorched the building early Monday morning.

The Ghost Rails Inn, formerly known as the Montana Hotel was built in the Alberton community back in 1909.

Neighbors say this is a tragic loss for the owners and the community.  Steve Gregory owns the restaurant next door and says it was hard to see his neighbors have to go through this ordeal.

“They had the hotel just beautiful,” said Gregory.  “It was full of antiques and they had done a lot of work to that place, an incredible amount, so it's just…it’s bad.”

Frenchtown Fire and Missoula Rural Fire responded to the Ghost Rails Inn just before five o'clock a.m. Monday morning.  Eighteen firefighters and nine trucks fought flames for several hours.  Gregory says he's just relieved no one was hurt.  “Tom and grace, the owners, were in one of the trucks, so they were safe and their 2 dogs were safe,” said Gregory.  “Tom was just shaking when I finally did see him and Grace.”

A sign on the door simply says 'UPS please deliver next door.’  Investigators tell us faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit may be to blame.  We’ll update you when we find out more details.