What makes a truly fun theme park?
Is it the rides, the size of the budget, the staff in big-eared costumes hugging kids?
For Stefan Zwanzger, who's visited no fewer than 264 parks in 92 countries in his guise as "The Theme Park Guy" -- a self-funded roving reviewer of gated entertainment centers around the world -- it's when all of the above combine to work their magic.
"A great theme park is one you leave and don't forget about instantly," he tells CNN. "I'm really curious about the whole experience.
"I wonder about the atmosphere that's been created and what the vision for the park is."
The German-born Zwanzger, who grew up in Munich and who has lived in Berlin, Dubai and London, says he judges a theme park not just on the quality of the rides but on whether the attraction's creators achieved the vision and atmosphere they set out to create.
"A good ride is like a good movie, it surprises you," he says. "There should be at least one unexpected twist in the story. There are very few good rides out there in the world -- most are predictable.
"A standalone ride on its own for me has little fun factor, I really like theme parks because they're not fun fairs.
"Fun fairs are a collection of rides. A theme park is a gated experience, and the moment you pass through the gates you should be entering a different world. And if this world surprises or inspires you, then it's fun."
Here are Zwanzger's top 10 "funnest" theme parks:
1. Tokyo DisneySea (Urayasu, Japan)
Zwanzger says: "This park is based around a truly unique concept, with science fiction author Jules Verne at its center.
"Verne lived in the 19th century and wrote futuristic novels, and large parts of this park are modeled after the way he was imagining the future back then -- it recreates a future that's never existed.
"It's impeccably themed with erupting volcanoes, giant drilling machines and Jules Verne-themed rides. There's also a Middle Eastern corner, an Adventure/Indiana Jones corner and a Mediterranean Harbor -- everything in the park is based on stories about the sea.
"I love Disney parks, but DisneySea really stands out because it's markedly character free. It has the Disney budget, talent and vision, but tells a completely different story than Donald and Mickey.
"It's a great collection of rides with the world's best theming and you can really see a huge budget at work."
Tokyo DisneySea, 1-13 Maihama, Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, Japan; +81 570-008-632; Read Zwanzger's full review
2. Atlantis Paradise Island (Nassau, Bahamas)
Zwanzger says: "This isn't too different from the other Atlantis park in Dubai, but this is the better one.
"It's a casino resort, but you feel that the casino is just 2% of the park and the other 98% is slot machine-free fun, with meticulous theming and incredible attention to detail.
"Atlantis has a wonderful combination of aquariums featuring huge tanks and a vast variety of fish with a beach resort and a very well-themed water park that's completely up to Disney standards.
"If you want a theme park vacation by the beach, this is the place to go."
Atlantis Paradise Island, 1 Casino Drive, Paradise Island, Bahamas; +1 242-363-3000; Read Zwanzger's full review
3. Disneyland (Anaheim, California)
Zwanzger says: "This simply is the original. Just think about the entrepreneurship and risk-taking involved when Walt Disney set this up.