KECI-TV, 340 West Main Missoula, MT
MOGADISHU (CNN) - At least 300 people were confirmed dead after a double car bombing rocked Mogadishu on Saturday, making it the deadliest attack in Somalia's modern history.
The revised death toll followed efforts by rescue works to recover bodies from the rubble and the deaths of several people who succumbed to their wounds, according to Maj. Ahmed Ibrahim of the police force.
More than 30 people injured severely by the blast were airlifted to Turkey on Monday by military air ambulance after the Turkish health minister arrived in the Somali capital.
Two US citizens were among those killed, a US State Department official said Tuesday.
The White House issued a statement Monday night strongly condemning the attack, calling terrorist organizations "the enemies of all civilized people."
"The United States stands with the people and government of Somalia in their commitment to defeating these groups, ensuring the security of their people, and rebuilding their country," the statement said.
Mogadishu, a large city on the east African nation's coast, has endured high levels of violence for years. Al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked terror group, has carried out several deadly car bomb attacks. There has been no claim of responsibility in Saturday's bombings.
The initial vehicle bomb destroyed dozens of stalls and the popular Safari Hotel in the heart of Mogadishu.
Qatar's embassy was damaged, according to a statement from its Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The embassy's charge d'affaires suffered minor injuries, the statement said.
Minutes after the first blast, a second vehicle bomb went off nearby. No casualties were reported from that second blast, according to police.
Al-Shabaab, which is now based mainly in rural areas in the south of the country having lost control of Mogadishu in 2011, has been waging a war with the Somali government for more than 10 years, prompting the African Union to send in peace keeping troops.
The terror group has also taken the war abroad, especially to Kenya. In September 2013, Al-Shabaab gunmen attacked the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi, killing at least 67 people.
(CNN) - Special counsel investigators interviewed former White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday as part of the Russia investigation, a source familiar with the matter told CNN.
Spicer is the third White House-related official to be interviewed by Robert Meuller's investigators in the past few weeks. Last week, former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus was interviewed and investigators recently interviewed Keith Kellogg, executive secretary of National Security Council.
Politico was first to report the interview happened.
CNN was told by a separate source last week that there is an expectation that Mueller's team will wrap up interviewing the first group of White House officials by the end of the month.
As CNN previously reported, among the people Mueller has expressed interest in speaking with are former and current White House staffers whom investigators consider witnesses, including Priebus, Spicer, communications director Hope Hicks, White House counsel Don McGahn, communications adviser Josh Raffel and associate counsel James Burnham.
Mueller's investigators are looking for documents and emails relating to the dismissals of national security adviser Michael Flynn and FBI Director James Comey, according to sources familiar with the matter.
In addition, one source confirmed that Mueller's team wants information connected to the Oval Office meeting Trump had with Russian officials in which he bragged about firing Comey, saying it eased pressure on his White House.
Lawyers for Spicer have not responded to CNN request for comment.
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - Harvey Weinstein is off the Weinstein Company board of directors.
The departure foreshadows further changes at the crippled movie and TV studio, including a possible sale.
His resignation came during a Tuesday morning board of directors meeting.
For many years Weinstein was synonymous with the company, which he co-founded with his brother Bob Weinstein. But all that changed after an investigation by The New York Times detailed a decades-long pattern of alleged harassment by Weinstein.
On October 8, Bob and the rest of the board members fired him. That meant Weinstein lost his co-chair job running part of the studio on a daily basis.
He remained on the board -- but not for long.
A spokesman for the company confirmed his resignation on Tuesday afternoon: "The board today ratified its decision to terminate Harvey Weinstein's employment with The Weinstein Company. Harvey Weinstein resigned from the Board."
No further information could immediately be gleaned about the meeting.
TMZ had reported earlier in the day that Weinstein was "about to be fired from the board of directors."
Whether the disgraced movie mogul was pushed or whether he jumped, his departure from the board is another step toward a possible sale of the company.
The board is in talks to sell the beleaguered company to Tom Barrack's private equity firm Colony Capital.
Much is unknown about the privately-held company's inner dealings. But Barrack's proposals were expected to be on the agenda at the board meeting, which was conducted by telephone. Weinstein and his attorney Patty Glaser called into the meeting.
Weinstein has at least two criminal defense attorneys as well. They are bracing for the possibility of criminal charges in connection to rape allegations that recently came to light.
The sexual assault and harassment scandal has profoundly damaged the Weinstein Co. and caused embarrassment throughout Hollywood.
Recent news reports described Weinstein's apparent desire to fight back against the board's decision. He has repeatedly said he hopes to receive a "second chance" in Hollywood.
With every passing day, as more and more accusers come forward, that seems less and less likely.