KALISPELL, Mont. -

A sign of smoke at St. Matthew's School in downtown Kalispell prompted administrators to evacuate kids, and firefighters to rush for the scene at roughly 11:00 on Thursday morning. It turns out, it was just a malfunctioning washing machine that sent smoke billowing into the school?s library.

Kalispell Fire Department, Evergreen Fire Department and Whitefish Fire Department all responded to the scene. A lane of traffic was temporarily blocked off on Main Street as firefighters secured the area.

Administrators canceled school for the remainder of the day as firefighters worked to make sure it was safe for students to return to classes. School at St. Matthew?s is set to resume on Friday.