Emergency crews evacuated five homes in Belgrade's River Rock subdivision after crews working in the area hit a gas line.
According to officials with Central Valley Fire, a call came in right around 10 a.m. that a gas main had been ruptured in near the intersection of Sibley Lane and Green Belt. Northwestern Energy was called in to shut off the gas and repair the line.
Central Valley Fire and the Gallatin Co. Sheriff's office secured a two block area on around the ruptured line and evacuated homes closest to the leak. Northwestern Energy's shut off electricity to a about a six block area as a precaution.
Once the gas is shut off, emergency crews will check out the homes to make sure no natural gas has built up inside. When the area has been deemed safe people will be allowed to return to their property.
Central Valley Assistant Fire Chief Brian Crandell says he appreciates the public keeping clear of the affected area.