Sasha Lindberg and her family like to come to the Cameron Bridge fishing access site just south of Belgrade.

"We come out here a couple times a week with the dogs, and just let them run and play in the water" Lindberg said.

But last week, something was different.

"There were a big group of boys, probably 12 to 17" she said, adding they were "all dressed in camo with paint guns, shooting paint guns just right in this area."

A group was playing paintball. Lindberg didn't think too much of it at first, even talking to them in passing.

But her dogs got into the paintballs, which littered the ground.

"It was really hard as we walked back on the trail keeping them out of them" Lindberg said.

That's when things turned south, and she found out just how toxic paintballs are for animals.

In fact, they can kill if the animals ingest enough.

Lindberg's dogs ended up in the vet hospital. They were throwing up, injected with morphine and had stomachs pumped.

Lindberg's daughters Katy and Bella were with her when the dogs ate the paintballs, and when they became deathly ill.

"I just hoped they weren't going to die" Katy said.

"I didn't even understand how serious it was until my mom told me what could happen and then I kind of freaked out" Bella said, adding "It was nerve-wracking."

At the entrance of the site, a Fish, Wildlife and Parks sign reads 'no paintball shooting allowed' in capital letters. So the group technically wasn't supposed to be there.

The boys were breaking the law. So Lindberg called the sheriff's office.

A deputy came out to warn them. But a week later, the mess is still there.

"It's just really disappointing that the boys didn't clean up" Lindberg said.

She didn't want any other dogs to end up with the same fate- or even worse- so her family came back to the fishing access site to clean up themselves.

But the Lindberg's are warning other families to be careful with their animals.

"I just would really feel horrible if someone else's dog got sick or even died" Lindberg said. "I don't think people understand that it can be really dangerous."